Tinycare is building the future of childcare — a world where every child has a loving, safe environment to reach their full potential. Childcare in America is broken: 51% of America is a childcare desert. Childcare is more expensive than college in half the states. The average preschool teacher in California makes $37,000 per year. Without quality childcare, parents struggle to work, and ultimately our smallest children suffer in the most critical time of their lives (90% of brain volume develops by age five).
We solve these problems through a network of micro-centers, small Montessori & Reggio inspired daycares serving 3 months - 5 years. During COVID while 16% of daycares permanently shut down, we grew our number of locations 6X and counting with long waitlists.
Tinycare was founded in 2018 by a collective of passionate educators, experienced school network leaders, and innovators from Google, Bright Horizons, Rocketship Schools, Minerva Project, Teach For America, Lululemon, Brookfield, and more. We recently raised a $15M Series A led by ACME Capital, with a diverse network of top investors (50% female) including the founder of Blue Bottle Coffee, Bling (Techcrunch #1 most founder friendly fund), the lead guitarist of Linkin Park, the co-founder of Away, the author of Lean Startup, and much more.
ABOUT the role
This role is a critical member of our executive leadership team: helping us scale from 20 -> 200 locations; building the infrastructure to go 200 -> 20000; and then building a team to run this while ensuring the highest quality care for infants / toddlers / preschoolers, location profitability, support for our teachers, and peace of mind for parents.
- Unit economics through hypergrowth (fourwall & operating margin): center level profitability (payback period, contribution margin, time to full) through hypergrowth in cohorts
- Systems that improve per person throughput on:
- Ops launch: Launching X number of locations in Y time, increasing X and decreasing Y over time
- Ops support: Operating cost adherence
- Enrollment: utilization
- A happy, healthy, productive team
- Senior leadership - making the senior team noticeably better at the leadership level
Areas of Responsibility
- Strategy: Drive strategic company wide OKR & budget planning with the CEO & leadership team. Design the ops org to ensure that output & NPS scales faster than linearly to the number of new locations.
- Oversee, design, and build the following central functions & teams to make sure we scale efficiently: Launch Operations, Interior Design, Real Estate, Licensing & compliance, Enrollment, Ongoing operations & customer support — substitute teachers, food, maintenance, cleaning, inventory management, food, and more, Market launching.
- Systems building: Architect and build systems for all of the above parts of the business to allow us to scale.
- People management & leadership: Manage a team of FTEs and contractors that are high performing as possible to execute the above, and build your team as neededBuild & maintain an amazing culture.
- Reports directly to CEO and part of the senior leadership team
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Meaningful stock options
- Health benefits, PTO, sick days
- Flexible work from home hours except for on site time in San Francisco
- Childcare benefits through Tinycare
- The opportunity to learn from an early stage, fast growing, mission driven startup
Most important competencies
- Mission oriented: passionate about our mission to improve quality and access of child development programs while elevating the status of early childhood educators.
- Leadership: ability to motivate and inspire with a vision, and build a strong culture & loyalty in your team.
- Strategic: ability to develop strategy and plans towards ambitious growth goals and creatively solve thorny strategic & operational problems.
- Strategic P&L management through hypergrowth: years of experience managing to specific P&L goals, like increased gross margin, COGS reduction, increased operating leverage, and more.
- People management: exceptional management of both people and teams, including performance management, coaching, and more.
- Hiring & team building: ability to identify talent, and hire great people.
- Project management skills: experience coordinating a large project with many moving pieces (e.g. wedding planning, event planning, etc.). Prioritizes and sequences time well to be able to hit multiple goals at once.
System & process building: deep track record of building systems to solve problems at levels of scale from Series A -> Series C.
- Flexibility: willing to roll with the punches of an early stage startup environment. Constantly looking to take in feedback and improve.
- 7-15 years of experience in operational leadership at top operational tech companies (e.g. Amazon, Doordash, Uber, Sonder, Opendoor, etc.) Bonus if you’d worked with fast growing real estate companies (e.g. Sonder, Lyric, Common, Bungalow) or in a fast growing school environment (AltSchool, KIPP, etc.)
- Passion for education and the lives of families; early childhood development a bonus