Repool is building the world's first platform that makes hedge funds easy to create and join for talented investors, like Angellist, Shopify, or Substack but for investing.
Founded in 2021, Repool is a Y Combinator Summer 21 fintech that just raised a $4.1M seed round from top VCs like Canaan, Matrix, and Global Founders Capital, as well as angel investors including founders from unicorns like Brex, Jeeves, Mercury, Flexport, Outschool, Pilot, and Forge. Repool is based in NYC and SF.
ABOUT the role
We are hiring for our first hire and non-founder engineer, who will work closely with Justin, our co-founder and CTO. We don't mind if you don't know anything about hedge funds/fintech - it's all learnable on the job!
Front-end, back-end, or full-stack experience all okay.
You'll also work closely with both founders across all business issues and get to have a voice in all decisions early at the business. You'll play a key role in owning huge portions of product, as well as helping to build out a dream team of engineers and culture. Our ideal candidate is entrepreneurial or enjoys/wants to ship a lot of features, gain exposure to lots of areas of business, and have true impact on a product.
The role will be hybrid WFH/in-person with a lot of flexibility. We believe that having an in-person presence in the early days is critical for team-building, morale, culture, etc.
WHAT YOU'LL DO HERE
- Help establish and influence engineering process, culture, systems, code base, and all things relating to engineering.
- Ship exceptional, thoughtful features and code!
- As our first hire and founding engineer, you'll have a huge impact, autonomy to make key product decisions and be self-managed, and have personal growth as an IC, leader, and entrepreneur.
- Help make strategic decisions about what to build, why, and when, as well as how to approach business challenges associated with early-stage startups
- Collaborate directly with the cofounders on what to build and how to build it, and really all things relating to the business
- Drive the engineering and product roadmaps based on customer feedback and thoughtful analysis
WHAT'S IMPORTANT TO US:
- Culture. Between the two of us, we've been at companies with great culture, okay culture, and bad culture, and while there's no one way to have an amazing culture, there are many ways to have bad cultures. We want Repool to be a transformative, inspiring, and enjoyable place to work, and we're really interested in hiring for other people who feel similarly.
- Reasonable expectations. We're early stage, and there will certainly be challenges and expectations here that go with that, but we also don't expect you to sell your soul to us or have no work-life balance. We will never call you family, and we will never ask anything of you that we would not have found reasonable ourselves when we were just employees.
- Building great product and moving quickly. Our operating philosophy is to seek the truth, debate earnestly, and then - lastly, decide and go.
- Becoming more formidable. Whether it's in 8 years or 2 years, we know it's unlikely that Repool is the last stop of your life and professional journey. We care deeply about supporting you in using Repool to get to whatever's next.
Repool is foremost a product and engineering driven company, and we believe that world-class engineering, UI, and UX is an essential part of our business strategy. Currently, the team is just the two co-founders.
Justin, the CTO, was a senior engineering lead and early hire at Brex, where he helped build Brex Cash and launch a number of critical, core Brex platform features. Before Brex, he was at Buildzoom, and graduated from Duke. Kevin, the CEO, was most recently Head of Revenue at Vitally, which he helped grow from the ground to a Series A by a16z. Before Vitally, he was the sales manager at Troops, enterprise account executive at Mapbox, and USC alum; in 2018, was listed by Sales Hacker as one of the top 10 Account Executives in the world.
Despite being a very early stage startup, you'll find that we provide benefits better than most companies our stage. We don't want coming early to mean critical concessions in security or your well being. Consequently, we're proud to offer:
- Highly competitive salary and a meaningful equity stake (1%+)
- 100% covered, top-of-the-line health insurance, dental, and vision
- 401k (including employer match!)
- 100% covered life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance.
- HSA and FSA company contributions
- Commuter benefits
- Optional critical illness, voluntary life insurance supplement, accident, and hospital insurance options
- Unlimited PTO
THE RIGHT CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- At least 2 years of professional software engineering experience, not including internships/college.
- If you have less experience, please apply to our Junior Software Engineer role instead!
- Front-end, back-end, or full-stack experience (any of the 3 are fine)
- Great communication and collaboration skills
- A desire to be a part of and help build out great culture as the team grows
- Experience with one or more common web application frameworks (Phoenix, Rails, Django, etc.)
- Experience with at least one relational database system
NICE TO HAVES:
- Passions outside of work, whether that passion be Netflix and chill, or sports, travel, and...uh, not chill? Let's all - have interests outside of work, and potentially help each other find cool things to do/care about/be a part of!
- Experience with React, GraphQL, and Phoenix
- Experience with UI/UX, infrastructure, or web development
- Previous startup experience
- Previous finance experience
- A passion for investing, creator economies, and/or finance