Small businesses make up 46% of the US private sector output, and historically represent 61.5% of new job creation. Mercantile is building new credit card products that are specifically designed for these businesses. We start by establishing a deep understanding of our customers and deliver customized solutions that are truly unique. Our products are designed to put money back into the pockets of small businesses so they can focus on serving their customers.
We’re backed by some of the best investors in the world including First Round Capital, General Catalyst, SV Angel, 8VC, Inovia Capital, Commerce Ventures, BoxGroup, Operator Partners, and more. We’re a lean team spread across North America, making an impact on the way small businesses can save. We’re looking for a full-time Data Scientist to join our team and analyze our clients and our own financial data, as well as provide insights into our business operations at a granular level. This position reports directly to the president and founder and will be an integral part of building Mercantile and its product from the ground up.
- Produce insights into the company operations and resourcing
- Design and structure appropriate mechanisms and services to understand drivers of the businesses
- Review credit performance and work hand-in-hand with our Head of Underwriting to evaluate and improve our offering for clients
- Build new and innovative credit models to test with orthogonal data
- Analyze experiments, campaigns, and other business initiatives.
- Build and maintain the relevant KPI reporting dashboards and excel models.
- Work with leadership team members across the company to provide insights and support their key objectives as needed (partnerships, marketing, credit card, etc).
- Suggest tweaks, adaptations, and improvments to the leadership team
- Remote-first & flexible schedule
- Competitive salaries & equity
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision insurance
- Attend talks, conferences, and professional development events that interest you, and benefit your career growth
- 3+ years experience in consulting, banking, startups, or other analytical field
- Demonstrable skills in SQL, excel, and other languages and data visualization tools
- Experience building and maintaining business dashboards
- Understanding of how to work in large data sets of financial transactions
- Familiarity with small businesses
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- An unquestionable ethic and strong sense of honesty and integrity
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with Looker, Quicksight, and Amplitude
- Experience working in Fintech or Finance
- Unique skills of any kind