Hopscotch is B2B payments platform that facilitates instant, fee-free transactions. We’re backed by a select group of investors including NOEMIS Ventures, Stellation Capital, Valar Ventures, Valor Equity Partners, 3KVC, NfX, Red&Blue Ventures, and others.
Let’s jump into Hopscotch.
Small business expectations are changing, and seamless payments are table stakes. Decision-makers want and deserve rapid payments, simplicity, and greater connectivity.
At Hopscotch, we believe the flow of money between businesses should mirror the seamless flow of money between individuals. As former small business owners ourselves, we’re all too familiar with the intricacies of getting paid and making payments to service providers. Hopscotch’s stored value accounts and consumer-like business profiles enable us to create an unmatched payments experience.
But our vision extends beyond a payments platform. We’re building a destination for small businesses to connect, transact, and grow together. A simple, easy-to-use interface. A community of businesses thriving. Together. As one.
ABOUT the role
The Lead Backend Engineer will work closely with the Head of Engineering to design, build out and maintain the Hopscotch platform services on AWS cloud. We’re looking for a hands-on technical leader with strong knowledge of technical architecture, SDLC and Object Oriented design principles. This position requires strong understanding of the financial technology space and the intricacies of facilitating financial transactions.
- Design and develop the platform services leveraging the existing and approved open source frameworks in a scalable and sustainable manner
- Create a sustainable unit and integration testing framework for backend services and ensure we are compliant with them in the long run
- Custom design and establish a CI/CD pipeline that ensures industry strength quality standards are met
- Automate creation and deployment of our AWS infrastructure in a cost effective manner
- Integration with several vendors using REST API
- Address production issues, find immediate solutions and put in place intermediate and long term solutions
- Communicate transparently and effectively about the design and development tradeoffs being made between functionality, security and performance
- Be in the trenches with the team and mentor junior developers on design and best practices
- Accomplished senior engineer, with 7+ years of relevant experience
- Strong background in Object Oriented programming principles
- Very good understanding of Gang of Four design patterns
- Very strong backend developer with intimate knowledge of Java 8+ & J2EE technologies. Knowledge of Python or Golang is a plus not a must
Strong technical knowledge of cloud-based infrastructure (ie. AWS, Docker, ECS/Kubernetes)
- Strong understanding of Relational Databases like Postgres, MySql or any major proprietary databases
- Strong understanding of AWS Services around NoSql DB (MongoDB), Redis, NoSql (MongoDB or Equivalent)
- Good understanding of AWS infrastructure management. Knowledge of Terraform is a plus
- Good understanding of Messaging systems like RabbitMQ, Kafka
- Strong desire to learn quickly the essentials of the gaps in any of the above mentioned stack items
- Ability to perform responsibilities with minimal supervision, exercising discretion and independent/sound judgement
- Must have an entrepreneurial spirit, very responsive, hands-on, and willing to work hard in a fast-paced environment