We're building a new kind of social app to save family memories. Join us in our mission to help people everywhere capture priceless moments in new and meaningful ways. As one of the first 10 employees at a fast-growing venture-backed startup, this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be a key part of building not just a product, but a company. You'll work closely with our tight-knit team and helping us define our company's path, not just executing someone else's vision. If you love a challenge, want to learn how to be part of building something from the ground up, and truly want to make a difference in the world!
ABOUT the role
We're looking for a senior back-end engineer with experience in Django/Python and AWS.
🏗 What you will do
- You'll ship product. You'll move fast, and constantly be building and shipping. Along the way, you’ll write clean and efficient code, do unit tests, follow best practices, improve our infrastructure and tooling and have the benefit of working with others who share your enthusiasm.
- You’ll grow and improve rapidly. You’ll be working with an incredible team, who love to learn from and teach each other. You’ll find yourself stretching to new areas, immersed in feedback, challenged by your teammates, and growing your skills on a daily basis.
- You’ll shape the product and company. You'll have significant input into the development of not just our app but the company. Your ideas will always be heard.
- You’ll be an owner. We believe in hiring smart people and giving them as much responsibility as they can handle. You'll always be pushing yourself to new levels.
- You'll create something meaningful. You will own and build a product and company you care about, together with teammates who care about it as much as you do.
🍯 Working at Honeycomb
We're a driven and passionate product/eng/design team from companies including Instagram, Google, Palantir, and Udacity. We're proud to be backed by a select group of investors we admire, including Ben Ling (Bling Capital), Kyle Lui (DCM Ventures), Charles Hudson (Precursor Ventures), and Peter Boyce (Stellation Capital), and featured in publications including The New York Times, USA Today, NBC, and Forbes.
We're based in the San Francisco Bay Area. Candidates must be willing to work on Pacific Time working hours. Check us out at https://joinhoneycomb.com.
- You are experienced. You understand the ins and outs of Python/Django (or a similar ORM and web framework like Ruby on Rails 🙂). You have deep expertise in building, deploying, monitoring, and scaling systems on AWS - bonus if you're interested in serverless AWS architecture! 👌 While you love picking up new technologies, this is not an area where you need to ramp up.
- You bias towards action. You like to build and ship - favoring practical choices, speed and a respect for sequencing. You focus on the things that matter and push back on things that don’t. You make deadlines for yourself and you move fast.
- You take pride in what you do. You care deeply about your work. You read through details and think about every bit of the user experience. If something seems off, you come up with a good solution and fix it without being asked to do so. You’re proactive with suggestions and people know they can count on you to get things done.
- You enjoy your work. You love what you do, think about it in your free time, and often find yourself building at strange hours—not because you feel you have to, but because you’re so excited to create something awesome for the world. Your favorite thing to do is to take on a huge challenge and pull it off.
- You have high standards, low ego. Your standards for your work and your teammates are so high that some may consider it unreasonable. You know you don't know everything, and opportunities to learn from other smart, talented people excite you. You make decisions to prioritize the team, not the individual.