At DeansList, we build exceptional software that empowers schools and educators to be successful. Our SaaS platform streamlines day-to-day school operations to improve productivity and increase transparency - so every educator has the actionable info they need to help every student succeed.
Our clients include many of the most innovative schools in underserved communities, mission-driven to closing the Achievement Gap. We focus beyond academics and build tools that make it easy to build strong relationships with families, reduce absenteeism, and create a positive, joyful school culture. We are as passionate about helping schools and students as the educators we serve are and we pride ourselves on going above and beyond to support their constantly-evolving needs.
DeansList is a portfolio company of Imagine K12 (YC’s education vertical). Our team is a close-knit group of former educators and technologists passionate about helping students and educators succeed.
ABOUT the role
We’re looking for an experienced full-stack developer to join our team. This person will work directly with our CEO and will gradually assume many of his technical responsibilities.
- Work closely with our School Success team, building tools to make their jobs easier and to troubleshoot client issues.
- Directly support schools and build integrations with other tools in a modern ed-tech ecosystem.
- Build innovative features that make things that seem hard easy.
- Help us recruit and manage our next engineering hire.
Things You’ll Own:
- Integrations: Modern schools use a variety of tech platforms, but if they don’t talk to each other that means more work for educators. Creating an open, interoperable system is one of our core engineering values, and we’ve built some awesome tools that make hard things easy.
- Enabling our School Success Team: It takes a lot of hard work to support hundreds of schools. You'll own making sure our School Success team has the tools they need to set them up for success.
- Support Engineering: Help the rest of our team and clients understand where things are going wrong, and design solutions so they don’t happen again.
- Our primary backend is an object-oriented PHP7 monolith (no framework).
- Our frontend is a mix of React (newer interfaces) and vanilla JS/jQuery/Handlebars (older ones).
- We run REST and GraphQL APIs both internally and for clients.
- Our supporting services are a mix of Laravel/NodeJS.
- Have spent 5+ years building large SaaS applications, including substantial experience with object-oriented PHP.
- You care as much about what you’re building and who it’s for as you do about how you’re building it.
- Love making systems talk to each other, and have lots of experience working with APIs and flat files.
- You love tackling different challenges everyday and are a happy multi-tasker.
- Want to be an influential part of a small, fast-moving engineering team.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) w/ 4% match
- Flexible vacation policy
- Workstation of your choice
- Reimbursement for classes, training and conferences
- Travel stipend to visit schools
DeansList is an equal opportunity employer. As a company whose product affects the education of over 100,000 students of color, it’s imperative we build a team that is reflective of the communities we serve. We strongly encourage applications from BIPOC (Black; Indigenous; People of Color), women, LGBTQ+, and other individuals who are underrepresented in the industry, across color, religion, race, ethnic and national origin, physical ability, gender and sexual identity. For more information on diversity, equity and inclusion at DeansList, please view our statement on Why Equity Matters to our work.