At Courier, we are on a mission to make software-to-human communication delightful.
To do this, we want to do for notification infrastructure what Stripe has done for payments infrastructure by making building and sending notifications fast, easy, and delightful. We’ve created the complete user communication stack for developer teams: our API takes the tedium out of integrating various notification channels, while our Studio lets anyone design a message template and deliver the right message to the right user at the right time with a single API call. Email, Push, Slack, SMS, you name it.
We’ve raised $12.5 million from Bessemer Venture Partners, Matrix Partners, Twilio, SendGrid, Slack, and Y Combinator. We're fanatical about delivering an amazing experience to software developers of companies big and small, and our goal is to build a platform that developers don’t just use but one that they love. If you want to push the frontier in developer tooling, we want to work with you.
We’re looking for a talented developer to join our Lifecycle team as a Sr. Software Engineer. This role will focus heavily on the customer experience. The work will be challenging due to the speed at which we are expanding, and the work involved will directly impact the growth trajectory of Courier’s network.
What You'll Do:
- Be a key decision-maker on what measurements and insights are relevant for the team. You will have high visibility, and with that comes high-impact and high-responsibility
- Work closely with a team of seasoned developers to develop key updates and features. Your priority one focus is the customer experience
- Key player developing Courier’s audiences and segmentation engine, Users Profile Schemas, and User Preferences and Subscriptions
A few additional notes:
Location: This role is flexible - work some days from home and some days from our office in the SoMa neighborhood of San Francisco, or be in another state entirely.
Visas: Courier cannot apply for new visas for candidates but can transfer existing visas (please allow up to 8 weeks for the transfer after an offer letter is signed.)
Interested in a little additional reading on Courier and what we are up to or what we value? Check out our latest content.
Who You Are
- 4+ years of programming experience
- Passion for working with cross-functional teams including Product, Design, and Analytics
- Deep understanding and previous focus on customer experience. Our customers are developers. Everything that they see, touch and feel as they experience Courier will be your domain to perfect and continually improve
- Expert at synthesizing complex and quickly changing business, product, and technical requirements to consistently produce high-quality system designs and software
- Strategic, partnership-oriented, and forward-thinking - you understand what internal and external partners need in the now but you are aware of where Courier is heading and how we need to set ourselves up to get there
- You dream about API surface layers - React/Node proficiency is a strong suit of yours
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field and/or equivalent experience in the space (we're not big on pedigrees). Bootcamp, self-taught, etc., bring your unique background to the table!
- Experience and comfortability working with: serverless technology running on AWS, Lambda, Dynamo, Kinesis, and TypeScript
- You love to wear a lot of hats but your first love is cranking code
- Current Bay Area resident
- You have gone through a stage of rapid growth in your company; from 10 to 100s of engineers
- Zoom Out: Don't just stay in your lane. Take the blinders off and look at the entire business.
- Keep It Real: Be honest with yourself about what is going really well, and what isn't. Celebrate wins and have hard conversations.
- Talk To Customers: Working with developers isn't a job role here - it is something we all need to do. Hop on a Zoom, reach out in Slack, build a relationship.
- Have An Opinion: Each team member is an expert on what success will look like for Courier. Nobody else has the answers.
- JFDI: There will always be more work to do than people to do it. If you see something that needs to get done, just f*cking do it. Don't wait for someone else.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Courier, we believe that our diverse perspectives are our biggest strengths — and that embracing them will create real change in how software communicates with humans. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to building an inclusive environment where you can be you. Please don’t hesitate to ask if we can accommodate you in any way both during the interview process and after.
- Top of market salary
- Generous equity plan
- Top of the line PPO health insurance plan (medical, dental & vision) – we cover 99% of your personal and dependent premiums
- 401k through Vestwell
- Flexible Health Savings Account
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- A brand new workstation and credit card to cover any other necessary expenses
- Free lunch in the office and $25 DoorDash credit on Fridays
- Annual personal development budget
- $100 monthly commuter benefit contribution
- Other perks and discounts through Sequoia
Security & Compliance
Courier takes protecting the data of our customers – and of their notification recipients – seriously. Every Courier employee goes through security training and a background check as part of onboarding. Each employee is expected to follow Courier's security and compliance processes, and uphold industry best practices.