Biodock is a cutting-edge, seed-stage bio AI startup backed by Andreessen Horowitz and Y Combinator (seed blog post here). We are building the future of AI cloud computing for microscopy images, NGS sequencing data, and more. Advances in our technology translate directly to advances in disease understanding and treatment. We give our product for free to academic scientists as part of our mission to accelerate research around the world.
ℹ️ About the Position
Biodock runs AI bioanalysis in the cloud, which users access through our dashboard. We are looking for talented engineers to own our Backend + AI stack and drive results for our customers and vision. We're a truly AI driven company and delivering value from deep vision models is how we give value to our customers - this is not some recommendation engine or rules based approach.
This position says founding engineer. We really mean that. We're a team of 6 plus 2 contractors right now (7/8 are software engineers), so you'd be one of the first engineers and make a massive impact. You'd build critical features from the ground up, and deliver fast without bureaucracy. We're looking for someone who is serious about building, and who can wear many hats.
🔨 What you'll do
- Take full ownership of Biodock's distributed backend + ML stack, all the way from features to deploys, monitoring, and overall reliability. Work on image processing, tensor manipulation, async requests, distributed clusters, AI infrastructure, and AI models.
- Be exposed to every level of the company, working closely with the CEO to meet business goals and working off customer feedback.
Web: React, Apollo GraphQL, Typescript, Mongo, Node
Backend + AI (this role): Typed scientific Python (Numpy), Pytorch, Docker, Kubernetes
🙋 Who you are
- You’re comfortable with building a mature application backend, with 4+ years of industry experience and a strong background in computer science with a degree in CS or a related field. Or you're just way smarter than others.
- You're a wizard at Numpy with enterprise experience on preferably typed Python, or another backend language. You have experience in areas such as image data processing, distributed systems, async requests, and performance measurement and optimization.
- Big bonus points for deep DevOps experience (Terraform, Kubernetes, AWS, Docker)
- You want to work at a top VC-backed company at the earliest stage to help build things from the ground up.
- You're flexible, trustworthy, energetic, and a great communicator
- You live in or are willing to make the move to Austin, Texas, where our office is located.
- Highly competitive pay and equity compensation, with PPO medical, vision, and dental insurance coverage
- 401k account option
- Unlimited vacation/sick leave
- Developer fundamentals: newest M1 Macbook Pro, standing desk, headphones/dual 4k monitors/peripherals, office amenities.
- Super cool office on the top floor with views of downtown and UT Austin, plenty of natural light, a small basic gym, conference rooms, and lots of space. Free snacks, cereal, coffee, tea, milk, etc.