We're on a mission to provide every human being with access to economic opportunity. Avala is looking for world-class talent ready to tackle challenging projects that will ultimately enable a more abundant economic future for all humanity.
We’ve raised several millions of dollars in funding of venture capital, from Valor Equity Partners, Flybridge Capital, Wonder Ventures, Draft Ventures, MaC Ventures, and many other high profile investors. Happy to tell you how much over the phone. We are a post-Series Seed company.
ABOUT the role
We are looking for an experienced Backend Engineer who can contribute to our product. This is an opportunity to have a big impact and get lots of ownership. We're looking for someone who thrives in the very early stages of a company and is self driven.
- Take the reins in building the foundation for our service in order to supercharge our data.
- Build a scalable, maintainable, secure, non-blocking, and performant REST API, following REST standards and best practices.
- Write unit and integration tests with a high percentage of test coverage.
- Query the database efficiently.
- Document our endpoints.
- Help to build out a seamless, beautiful customer experience that feels comfortable and effortless for our customers.
- Shape our practice as one of our early hires, bringing your technical leadership, experience, and knowledge of best practices to establish a strong engineering culture.
We encourage any candidate who meets 70% of these qualifications to still apply!
- At least 5 years experience developing web applications and backend services in a professional setting.
- You should have played a lead role in building, shipping and maintaining enterprise software.
- Strong experience with backend technologies (Python, Django, Django Rest Framework, PostgreSQL, Pytest).
- Must have an excellent understanding of how the web works.
- Familiar with modern engineering practices: code reviews, continuous-deployment, automated testing.
- Must be willing to constantly learn new things.
- Passionate about joining a small team and building a company.
Nice to haves:
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience with scientific computing libraries such as numpy, pandas, or scikit-learn is a plus.
- Experience with big data systems such as Spark, Hadoop/MapReduce is a plus.
- Experience with ElasticSearch or other scalable search systems is a plus.
- Experience with cloud computing such AWS EC2/S3/RDS is a plus.
- A history of working on side/hobby projects and contributing to open source projects is a plus.
- Knowledge of machine learning, computer vision, or neural networks is a plus but not required
- You can flex between frontend and backend.
- You've worked at a startup before.